Sunday, February 26, 2012

Security Violation

I've discussed this topic previously in my post "The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Pants Off", but when the situation reappeared to me yesterday at the Orlando International Airport and I had an actual physical response because of the strength of my objections to the full body scanners used in airport security, I knew I had to readdress it. Though I understand our nation's concern with airport security after the attacks of 9-11, that we could have strayed so far from our founding principles disgusts me. As Americans, as Christians, and as humans we should always stand up for our rights. 


Per usual, the bible's stance on Christians and their governments is a complex one to interpret. Romans 13:1, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities...," makes it clear that we should submit to our civil governments, however we are also commanded to obey God rather than men. Therefore it is up to us to constantly compare our government with the word of God and determine if they coincide. That can be terrifying though because it is done so wrong so often! So many who act in unjust and oppressive ways do so in the name of God. So we have to be the other side. Be the ones to use the teachings of mercy, love, and compassion even in our political views.

Acts 4:18-20 "And they called them in and ordered them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, 'Whether it is right before God to obey you rather than God, you decide for it is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard.'"

Romans 12:2 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." 

There is a really cool article I found about the relationship between government and the Christian religion. Check it out.






No comments:

Post a Comment