Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bed Hog


To Be Alone With You - Sufjan Stevens

I'd swim across Lake Michigan
I'd sell my shoes
I'd give my body to be back again
in the rest of the room

To be alone with you

You gave your body to the lonely
they took your clothes
you gave up a wife and a family
you gave your goals

To be alone with me
To be alone with me you went up on a tree
I'll never know the man who loved me

When giving nightly devotionals for my middle school campers, I tried to use soft, calming music as often as possible. Something beautiful and thoughtful to send them off to dreamland. Also because there was a better chance of them actually be quiet so I could get some sleep. Music can have such a powerful effect on our emotions. In the song, "Dumbing Down of Love," by Frou Frou, Imogen Heap sings, "Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry." (And I do, in fact, cry as her voice climbs breathlessly to the word). Now, I don't know about all that, but I do believe that good music, like any good art, can evoke strong emotions in the listener. During one of my devotions, I talked about having a personal relationship with Christ and then I played the song, "To Be Alone With You," by my favorite musician, Sufjan Stephens (Soof-yawn, btw). I hoped that they would feel what I feel when I listen to it: special, loved, sought after.

God came to Earth in the form of a man to be alone with you. You. In case you weren't aware, "you" is a personal pronoun. God longs for you. To be with you, to talk to you, and to be wanted by you. 


Also! My best friend, Kaitie Loy, just joined me in nerdiness and started a blog of devotions and ramblings too! Check it out: 
http://normaloddity.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment