Saturday, October 15, 2011

Rubbernecking


So often temptation can get the best of us. We make decisions that, in our heart of hearts, we know are not right and many times, they were made upon the event of someone else's downfall. We allow others to drag us down. We see that chocolate lava cake on the plate that the waiter's carrying out for the table next to us, and it looks good.

One of the most prominent examples of this in my life is gossip. WIthin the grounds of a tiny college campus, word travels quickly. Everyone knows each other and therefore everyone knows each other's business. I can't help but slow down to listen when I hear which sloppy drunk did what at the bar Thursday night and if I find it interesting, chances are, a few of my sisters will hear the story from me by the end of the day. And then they'll tell the next person who might tell the next and soon enough, we've all stooped to the act talking poorly about one of our brothers or sisters in Christ. By turning my ear to the gossip as a passing car turns its head to an accident at the side of the road, I've allowed myself to falter, to slow down and remove my eyes from what is good. We have to try not to be rubberneckers. We have to set our eyes upon God so that we might not fall into temptation. We can't let someone else's accident slow us down.

"Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil." 


My friend, Tina, and I being fabulous at Melbourne Beach for fall break.


Here's my favorite Pixies song I was listening to on the ride home:

No comments:

Post a Comment