Friday, July 22, 2011

It's Fun To Stay At The YMCA


I met this guy at the YMCA and he and I went out to lunch that weekend. He and I spent nearly an hour of our very first date talking religion. I'm not sure about y'all, but I more often find first date subject matter to be more along the lines of interests, current evens, and hopefully engaging, nervously retold anecdotes. Even politics are frequently avoided so as to avoid disputes, though the slightly more daring might venture into that territory on occasion. I don't pretend to be devout or anything, but I'm a Methodist, and he's an atheist. And I'm not gonna lie, that topic gave me a little anxiety. I love talking about my faith, but it can be a little scary talking about it with someone who doesn't believe in God. All Christians have their phases of doubt and it's like we're afraid they'll grow those seeds of doubt in us. Their arguments make sense and we know it. But we also know that we don't have to know anything, and how wonderful that is. We don't have to worry ourselves with fact, although studying it can certainly broaden our perspective and enrich our human experience. So don't be scared. Love them, listen to them, and know that we get to live by faith.

(Btw, Ellie's in the background panting bc it's a little stormy out. Also, I have a sweet temporary dragon tat).




3 comments:

  1. Not to instigate or turn your lovely blog into another argument over religion, but perhaps the scary things need to be thought about and considered. Of course atheism is terrifying to believers, but perhaps there's some truth to be found in the logic and rationality of an atheist. Consciously resisting knowledge is not and will never be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly do need to listen to the scary parts. That's how we get to learn and absolutely there's much to be admired in the rationality and logic. But resistance to knowledge is not the same as having knowledge and still believing more. That's the point here. We get to have more than knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie, I was watching my ferocious beast the whole time! I wuv that doggy!

    ReplyDelete