Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mischief Managed!



I have a healthy obsession with Harry Potter. My favorite exclamation is "Merlin's Beard!" and I feel as though I am personal friends with the Weasley family. I take personal offense when a person tells me he doesn't like Harry Potter or that he hasn't read the books. I was on a first date recently and while standing in line for a drink at Stardust, I overheard an argument amongst some distinctly dorky teenagers beside me. Which house would they belong in? I, of course, interjected, reminding them that not everyone is a Gryffindor and that there are wonderful aspects about each house. I am, for example, a Slytherin for my great ambition. "You could be great, you know." Then I took my Izzie and walked with my date to sit down. He was a business man and all sophisticated and that garbage, so he was a little taken aback and I just looked at him and said, "Yeah, I can talk Harry Potter with the nerdiest of them. And I have no shame." 
I do worry sometimes that I might focus more attention on Harry Potter than God. That goes for all the other things that consume my time, too. When all I care about is the next outfit I'm going to wear, or is Dwight Howard going to stay with the Orlando Magic, I'm not caring enough about God. We have been commanded not to put any other gods before our God and in this day and age, those other "gods" are often interpreted to be those obsessions in our lives that override what the greatest obsession should be. We can love things like Harry Potter and even Britney Spears; we just have to keep in mind who the real love of our lives should be. The one who loves us back.   


Two of my dearest friends, Mackenzie Searl and Jillian Gizzi, 
as Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange


A Very Potter Musical - I posted this on Mackenzie's Facebook wall. 
I'm tagged as Voldemort and she's tagged as professor Quirrell. 

1 comment:

  1. AAAAHHHH first off, you spelled BRITNEY spears wrong! and i like the pictures! i especially like the fact that i'm in both of them! i love it when i make it into your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete